Pages

Friday, December 23, 2011

Christmas in New York City

I took a walk the other evening to check out the Holiday lights in Manhattan. What surprised me was the limited decorations. Except for the areas where there is always some kind of visual holiday delight the rest of the city was quite unadorned. It was less than a week away from Christmas and most of the store windows were sorrowfully clad in some semblance of the holiday or at best a winter theme. This photo made me begin to look more closely at how the city has nearly hidden decorations.
At dusk when the mob outside of Macy's is a crush of bodies walking around the building on 34th St. and 6th Ave. there were some things to see, but I preferred looking up to get a full view of the city and her jewels!!!
There was a giant lone star hanging suspended over one of the major city streets.
But for me the most interesting view was not just the tree at Rockefeller Center, because even though the tree this year was as huge as ever, when I took a long look, the tree was dwarfed by the building behind it.

No comments: